Friday, March 26, 2010

Vogue 8157 - Tell me what to do!

Item # 3 for my wardrobe should have been the simplest piece.  I managed to completely mess it up, so I'm going to have to replace it in the wardrobe.  For the sake of honesty in journalism, I'm sharing it with you.
This picture actually looks not too bad.  These aren't supposed to be hoochie tight, though.  My major error was actually post-cutting.  I cut a size 12, then once I had sewn all the major seams, I tried on.  I zipped them up, and they immediately fell off me.  So I pinched out a bit at the side seams and at CB and ran back to the machine, made the corrections as pinned, and finished the pants - without actually trying them on again.  Ooops.
From the side you can see  the wrinkles at the hip and how the waistband is straining to hold me in.  Not an attractive look...
The back view actually isn't that bad, but they are saved only by the 25% stretch in this fabric.  I wouldn't be able to zip them otherwise.
It really is too bad that I screwed them up.  This is nice fabric and I like the contrast yoke (done with the wrong side of the fabric).  I think this pattern is a winner, so I'm going to try it again.  Just maybe not right away.  I need the sting to heal first.
I actually would have worn them this way, since I don't tuck.  I'm also not really happy with the way that they look with this top, so I was considering replacing them in the wardrobe anyway.  The problem - with what???
Here is my storyboard as it currently stands.  I'm going for a casual but pulled together look.  I'm thinking about a simple skirt or a different capri, but I have no idea what fabric I want.  Here are a couple of things from the stash I'm thinking about.
They top left is a heathery grey ponte knit.  I've been planning to make Butterick 4807 out of it.  I think it would go with my theme and color scheme, but I can't see it with my last piece, which is a button down shirt.  Next to that is a vertically striped twill, also grey, which I would love to make into BWOF 06/2009-104.  This would be awesome with the buttoned shirt, but I'm afraid there would be too many stripes going on with my burda style tee.  The bottom two are a navy linen and lavender twill.  I don't have specific patterns in mind for them, but I was thinking a simple capri or A-line skirt would work for either.  What do you think?  Would you change it up with a skirt?  Keep the capri?  What fabric do you see here?  I have no idea where to go!

14 comments:

Digs said...

They look good to me. What I'd do is turn them into unabashed body-hugging capris, ie, take in the side seams from mid-thigh down, raise the hem to just a little below the knee, and make a side slit to the knee (for ease of wearing).

Lauren said...

I love the purple/gray combo, maybe switch it up with a darker fabric for either the skirt or capri? Just for some contrast. Love that BWOF skirt, BTW!

Pam said...

Well, they barely don't fit you - sounds like my sewing luck - I kinda agree - I'd keep them for "projects" around the house so tighter up down the leg - sexy!

Love your wardrobe - can't wait to see it done and I am amazed at how productive you are!!

auntninn said...

You have a storyboard and everything, so I feel completely unqualified to comment.

But...my vote is the navy linen for the skirt pattern you have with the stripes. Or if it's not too boring, what about the Cal Patch skirt with one of the modifications in the linen? The yoke and ruffle pattern would be cute and should still go with button down and the other top.

Varina said...

You already have four bottoms and only two tops, what about using the twill for a jacket, or the lavender for a blouse?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Yeah - don't toss those capris - they're cute! I like Digs' idea. I like that grey ponte knit with Butterick 4807 - is the button-down shirt too formal for it? But you were going to wear it with capris, so it can't be that formal....hmmm...

Sam Rose said...

I like the Butterick pants idea.

Angela said...

Hmm... tough choices... I think the navy linen would be best, but I don't have any pattern suggestions. Hehehe.. sorry!

Beth said...

Wait a little longer to decide.
(i.e. after the blue shirt is done)

Kathi said...

No advice, just keep plugging along. It will come to you. I think your current problem is exactly the reason I don't sew with a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victoria said...

Your pants look good to me and your sewing plan looks fun and interesting! Can't wait to see the finished products:) Man, you seem to be moving lightening fast!

Eugenia said...

I think those capris look really good but if they are a little tighter than you would like I bet if you wear them for a while they will give a bit. I love your storyboard - the colour combinations are gorgeous.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

You look fantastic in those pants. So good in fact that I forgot what the problem was.

amber said...

I think the pants look good, but I understand that if you're not comfortable in them, they're not going to ever feel that great. :(